Notice of Availability of Draft Environmental Impact Report
Planning Division News Splash:
Notice of Availability
Draft Environmental Impact Report for the
Koll Center Residences Project
Access Draft Environmental Impact Report here
Notice is hereby given that the City of Newport Beach (lead agency) has completed Draft Environmental Impact Report (State Clearing House No. 2017011002) for the Koll Center Residences Project (PA2015-024). The Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) is available for public review and comment pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The Draft EIR addresses the environmental effects associated with implementation of the Koll Center Residences Project.
Project Location: The project site is located in Koll Center Newport, at 4400 Von Karman Avenue (Assessor Parcel Numbers [APN] 445-131-04, 09, 29, and 30). The site is approximately 13.16 acres and is currently developed with surface parking lots and common landscape areas for Koll Center Newport. The irregularly-shaped site is generally bordered by Birch Street to the northeast, Von Karman Avenue to the west, and existing office uses and associated surface parking lots and garages to the east and south.
Project Description: The proposed project is a mixed-use infill development that includes 260 residential condominiums; 3,000 square feet of ground-floor retail uses, a 1.17-acre public park; a freestanding parking structure; lighting, landscaping, and pedestrian improvements; utility improvements; and the reconfiguration of existing surface parking.
The 260 condominium dwelling units would be in three, 13-story buildings with a maximum building height of 160 feet. The buildings would have two levels of above-grade and two to three levels of below-grade structured parking. The public park would be located adjacent to Birch Street. Implementation of the project would require the demolition of existing surface parking and landscaping within the project site. Residential parking would be provided on site in the residential building parking structures. Parking for the public park and retail uses would be provided on site within reconfigured surface parking areas Office parking removed during construction of the project would be provided in a new free-standing parking structure, within one of the proposed residential buildings, and in reconfigured surface parking areas.
There are three office buildings located within the boundaries of the project site; however, two of the office buildings are not a part of the project: 4490 Von Karman Avenue and 4910 Birch Street. The 4440 Von Karman Avenue office building is a part of the project site as the applicant proposes new landscaping, irrigation, sidewalk improvements and the reconfiguration of disabled parking. No change to the existing building is proposed as a part of the project.
The project requires the following items from the City of Newport Beach to proceed:
1. Certification of the Final Environmental Impact Report (EIR): Pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), a EIR has been prepared to address reasonably foreseeable environmental impacts resulting from the approval and construction of the project.
2. Planned Community Development Standards Text Amendment: An amendment to the Koll Center Newport Planned Community Development Plan (PC-15 Koll Center) to allow for residential mixed uses in Professional and Business Office Site B.
3. Site Development Review: Site development review in accordance with the amended Koll Center Planned Community and Section 20.52.80 (Site Development Reviews) for the construction of the project.
4. Tentative Parcel Map: To subdivide the project site for finance and conveyance purposes.
5. Tentative Tract Map: For condominium purposes including five numbered lots for development and seven lettered lots for the public park, parking, and private streets.
6. Traffic Study: A traffic study pursuant to Municipal Code Chapter 15.40 (Traffic Phasing Ordinance).
7. Transfer of Development Rights: A transfer of 3,019 square feet of unbuilt office/retail area from Koll Center’s Professional & Business Office Site A to Office Site B.
8. Development Agreement: An agreement between the applicant and the City that identifies public benefits of the project and conveying rights to development.
The Draft EIR indicates there may be significant unavoidable adverse environmental impacts associated with three environmental categories: construction-related air quality impacts; land use impacts related to a determination of consistency with the Airport Environs Land Use Plan by the Airport Land Use Commission; and construction-related noise impacts. Upon compliance with regulatory requirements and recommended mitigation measures, all other environmental impacts were found to be less than significant.
The Draft EIR is available for a 45-day public review period beginning September 13, 2017, and ending October 27, 2017. Copies of the Draft EIR are available for review in the Community Development Department, 100 Civic Center Drive, Bay 1B, Newport Beach, CA 92660 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Friday. The Draft EIR can also be accessed online at the City’s website at: http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=1347. Additionally, copies are also available for review at the following City public libraries during regular hours:
Newport Beach Public Library, Corona del Mar Branch, 420 Marigold Ave., Corona Del Mar, CA 92625
Newport Beach Public Library, Balboa Branch, 100 East Balboa Boulevard, Newport Beach, CA 92660
Newport Beach Public Library, Mariners Branch, 1300 Irvine Avenue, Newport Beach, CA 92660
Newport Beach Public Library, Central Library, 1000 Avocado Avenue, Newport Beach, CA 92660
Written comments on the adequacy of the Draft EIR must be received no later than October 27, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. to the attention of Rosalinh Ung, Associate Planner, at the address listed below or via email. There is no fee to submit comments. You are also invited to attend and testify at the public hearings as to the appropriateness of the EIR document.
The Newport Beach Planning Commission is scheduled to conduct a Study Session on the proposed project and Draft EIR at a regular meeting to be held on October 19, 2017, at 6:30 p.m., in the City of Newport Beach Council Chambers, 100 Civic Center Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92660.
For additional information about the Draft EIR, the proposed project, or about future meetings, please check: http://www.newportbeachca.gov/trending/projects-issues/the-koll-residences or contact the City of Newport Beach at:
Rosalinh Ung, Associate Planner
(949) 644-3208 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Newport Beach
Community Development Department, Planning Division
First Floor Bay B
100 Civic Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660