John Wayne - On Set With the Duke: May 26 - September 5
Newport Beach City Arts Commission and John Wayne Enterprises present an exhibition of 15 modern archival prints of John Wayne by legendary photographer John R. Hamilton at the Newport Beach Public Library this summer.
Opening on May 26, which would have been John Wayne’s 110th birthday, the exhibit will feature rare and never before seen images from such films as “The Searchers” (1956) and “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance” (1962) directed by John Ford, “The Sons of Katie Elder” (1965) directed by Henry Hathaway, “El Dorado” (1966) directed by Howard Hawks, and “Hellfighters” (1968) directed by Andrew V. McLaglen.
Special Program: Sunday, August 20 at 2 p.m., Central Library
Co-curator Amy Shepherd will speak to the curation process, how the images were selected, and the extensive restoration that went into bringing the photos back to life.
Amy Shepherd, Vice President of John Wayne Enterprises and the Executive Director of the John R. Hamilton Archives.
Admission is free. No reservations required.
- Memories in the Making® (paintings): September 6 - November 3
- Chip Fesko (watercolors): November 6 - January 5
- Phyllis Paxton (mixed media acrylic paintings): January 8 - March 2
- Jane Kelly (Egyptian-inspired embroideries): March 5 - May 4
- James Strombotne ("Inspiration of Women" paintings): May 7 - July 6
- Diana Blaisure (photography): July 9 - September 7
- Iriet Peshkess ("At the Beach" paintings): September 10 - November 2
- Diana Ghoukassian (photography): November 5 - January 4
- Gianne de Genevraye (oil paintings): January 7 - March 4
To have artwork considered for an exhibition at the Central Library, download and fill out the Application for Consideration Art
In the News
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit