Behind the Brushstrokes, paintings by James Strombotne
May 7 - July 6, 2018, Central Library Gallery
An Evening with James Strombotne: May 24, 7 p.m., Central Library Friends Room
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission presents an exhibition of paintings by reknown artist James Strombotne, who will be making a return visit to the Newport Beach Central Library gallery.
Since his first one-man show in 1956, James Strombotne has captivated audiences with his provocative paintings, drawings, prints and sculpture. Strombotne Studio is the official online site for this nationally recognized American artist.
James Strombotne's resume includes over 100 one-man shows including 14 retrospectives. His work is housed in many of the finest public collections in the country and is also included in numerous prestigious private collections.
The exhibition will be on display during library operating hours, May 7 through July 6, 2018
Bridge, photographic mono-prints by Diana Blaisure
July 9 - September 7, 2018, Central Library Gallery
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission presents an exhibition of mono-prints by photographer Diana Blaisure at who will be making a return visit to the Newport Beach Central Library gallery.
“There are many definitions and applications of the word. My work begins with exploring bridges for their sculptural aspects. The sweep of a curve, the geometry of the piers, the patterns of steel underneath the roadbed. More than a span connecting one access point to another.
Bridge also functions as a metaphor: linking analog and digital as I combine scanned water-color mono-prints with digital photography. Integrating abstract forms and color of a mono-print with the solid form and composition of a bridge is the initial step. The process has allowed me to look at bridges with new eyes. It is an experiment, changing the opacity, shifting the color intensity, trying different mono-prints, using more than one section of a bridge in the same composition.*
The process is a journey of discovery. Abstract patterns emerge, colors shift, geometric forms can lose their anchor and seem to float.”
For the more than 30 years, photography has been the primary creative expression for artist Diana Blaisure. When preparing for retirement from city planning, she made a list of what she wanted to accomplish in this new phase of her life and, topping the list, was to formally study photography. In 2011, Blaisure began taking classes at Orange Coast College, in their highly regarded photography program.
The exhibition will be on display during library operating hours, July 9 through September 7, 2018.
(Coronado Duet by Diana Blaisure)
- Iriet Peshkess ("At the Beach" paintings): September 10 - November 2
- Diana Ghoukassian (photography): November 5 - January 4
- Gianne de Genevraye (oil paintings): January 7 - March 1
- Joe Cladis ("OC Coastal Print Series"): March 4 - May 3
- Raphaele Cohen Bacry (acrylic and mixed media): May 6 - Jul 5
- Ed Olen ("Sobier Photo Project"): July 8 - September 6
To have artwork considered for an exhibition at the Central Library, download and fill out the Application for Consideration Art
In the News
- Newport Beach artist Chip Fesko's geometric watercolors are on display
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit