Harbor Operations Division
Effective July 1, 2017, the City of Newport Beach (City) transferred the management of guest slips, moorings and anchorage from the Orange County Sheriff's Harbor Patrol to City staff and created the Harbor Operations Division.
Harbor Operations is located at the Marina Park Community and Sailing Center, 1600 W. Balboa Boulevard, Newport Beach, 92663 (33.607310,-117.922141). For assistance or information, call 949-270-8159.
Slip, Anchorage and Mooring Rentals
Most visiting cruisers choose a public mooring or anchorage for their short stay as these options tend to be easily available. Below is information about renting a space in the harbor including the rules and regulations.
Newport Beach's newest, award-winning marina at Marina Park offers 23 overnight slips for vessels up to 55 feet. Marina Park is a 10.5-acre community center and sailing center with an onsite cafe, the Lighthouse Bayview Cafe. Guest accommodations include laundry, showers and restroom facilities, utilities, free Wi-Fi and beach, playground and picnic areas.
Visit our Marina Park web page for more information.
Marina Park Rental Information
- 23 slips that are 40-feet and 55-feet long
- Rental fee is $60 and $82.50 per night
- Overhang charge is $1.50 per foot
- Check in 1 p.m.
- Check out 11 a.m.
- Stay up to 30 days maximum
Marina Park Slip Overview
Guest moorings are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Guest moorings may not be reserved in advance, but as you approach the harbor you can call the Harbor Operations office to inquire about availability. All guests are required to stop at the Harbor Operations visitors dock to check in, or meet a Harbor Vessel on the water. You must have vessel documentation or registration information, insurance paperwork and your photo I.D.
Most of the moorings in the harbor are secured via bow and stern and may or may not be equipped with the tackle necessary to secure your boat. Be prepared to rig your own lines to the mooring cans; however assistance may be provided by Harbor Operations Staff.
Marina Park Rental Moorings
Recently the City relocated existing City-owned moorings in H and J field to the south channel (side closest to Marina Park.) These moorings have been converted into sandline type moorings and are indicated by a single white and blue mooring can with a designation of "MP RENTAL" 1 thru 10.
These moorings are available for rent at the standard mooring rental rates (below) and can be reserved. All standard rules and regulations for mooring sub-permits shall apply. If you would like to make a reservation, please use the new online application link below to submit your information and upload insurance and registration documents. Once submitted, please contact our main office at 949-270-8159 to complete your reservation and the permit process.
Mooring Sub-Permit (Rental) Rules and Fees
- All vessels must register with Harbor Operations.
- Maximum number of days per permit is limited to fifteen (15) days.
- Vessel must be present, currently registered or documented, seaworthy and mechanically operable.
- Check out time is 12 p.m.
- Rental fees:
- $27 per night between May 1 and October 31
- $16 per night between November 1 and April 30
- Shore Moorings: $11 per night/year round
- Online sub-permit application - Prospective renters may now complete an online application, upload insurance and registration documents, and submit them directly to the Harbor Operations. Once received, the prospective renter must call prior to their arrival date to confirm a vacant mooring assignment along and complete the permit process. This form can also be used for Marina Park rental mooring reservations.
The only harbor anchorage is located between Lido Island and Bay Island. Marked by four yellow buoys, it offers a minimum depth of approximately 10 feet with good holding mud. Most boats swing on one anchor so position yourself carefully with neighboring boats and to avoid swinging outside the marked boundaries.
The time limit is five days and boats may not be left unattended in the evenings or during inclement weather. The anchorage is free of charge (for vessels under 80 feet.) Notify Harbor Operations upon arriving.
Raft-Ups in the Anchorage are only permitted via an approved/signed raft-up application. Applications must be submitted to the Harbor Operations (email@example.com) at least 30-days prior to the event (the City Harbormaster may choose to approve applications submitted later than 30 days on a case-by-case basis.)
Temporary Trial Anchorage
As of September 13, 2017, the Harbor Resources Manager has extended the duration of this temporary trial ("West Anchorage") anchorage located in the turning basin by one month, to October 17, 2017.
The purpose of the West Anchorage is to solicit feedback from the anchorage and harbor users, local residents and businesses. The time limit for the trial anchorage is three days.
West Anchorage Rules
- No rafting of vessels
- No amplified music
- No loud parties
- No loud generators (all generators must also be turned off between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.)
- Must use a holding tank
- Exterior lighting kept to a minimum
Anchoring Outside the Harbor Entrance
Anchoring is allowed just outside the harbor entrance off Corona del Mar State Beach, immediately outside the East Jetty. Anchorage in this area is subject to the following rules. Failure to follow these rules may result in your vessel being impounded.
- 72-hour maximum stay
- Continuous occupancy from dusk to dawn
- Continuous occupancy during any small craft or greater advisory
- Single three-hour shore excursion daily is allowed
Depths range from 20 to 30 feet with fair holding in the sand and rock. This scenic anchorage is pleasant in good conditions but can put you on a dangerous lee shore when the weather blows. Stay well clear of the marked swimming area.
Law enforcement and emergency services within the harbor is provided by the Orange County Sheriff's Department Harbor Patrol. Call 949-723-1002 or visit the Harbor Patrol's website.