Newport Beach includes more than eight miles of beaches that stretch from the Santa Ana River jetty to Crystal Cove State Park and border Newport Bay. All ocean and bay front beaches are open to the public from the hours of 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. Crystal Cove State Park beaches close at sunset.
There are numerous public parking lots, parking meters and on-street parking available at or near our beaches. For more information on parking options, click here.
Beach Conditions can be obtained by going to our Beach Web Cams page or by calling Surf Report at 949-673-3371.
Parks and Facilities
For a complete list of parks, facilities and their amenities, including maps and other info, please click here.
Portable barbecues are not allowed on any City beaches. Fire rings and public barbecues are available near the Balboa Pier and at Corona del Mar State Beach from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis.
There are two piers located in Newport Beach. The Newport and Balboa Piers are open from 5 a.m. until midnight. Restaurants are located on both piers and their hours may vary. Public restroom facilities are available at the base of both piers.
Wheelchairs that are capable of going on the sand, can be obtained at the Newport Pier and in Corona del Mar. The chairs are available on a first come, first serve basis and cannot be reserved. To determine availability, please call 949-644-3047 during normal business hours.
Dogs on the Beach
Dogs are never allowed on the beach or any beachfront sidewalk between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., including the ocean front beaches and bay front beaches.
Before 10:00 a.m. and after 4:30 p.m., dogs are allowed, if they are securely restrained by a substantial leash or chain not exceeding six feet in length and controlled by a person who is competent to restrain the dog.
Please be aware that the person having control of the dog must have in his or her possession, an implement or device capable of removing any feces deposited by the animal
For further information, call the Animal Control Unit at 644-3717.
To check on items that were lost at the beach, please call 949-644-3047.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to frequently asked beach questions, please click here.
Beach Safety Information
Have a fun, safe day at the Beach by following these tips:
- Swim near a lifeguard.
- Learn to swim.
- Never swim alone.
- Don't fight the current.
- Never swim while intoxicated.
- Leash your surfboard or bodyboard.
- Don't float where you can’t swim.
- Always wear lifejackets when boating.
- Protect your neck from spinal injuries.
- STOP, watch, and walk into the water.
- DON'T dive headfirst into any unknown water.
- DON'T dive toward the bottom into oncoming waves.
- DON'T stand with your back to the waves.
- DON'T jump or dive from a cliff, pier, jetty or bridge.
- Avoid bodysurfing, bodyboarding or surfing straight "over the falls." Ride the shoulder.
- In a "wipeout," land as flat as possible with your hands out in front of you.
- While bodysurfing, keep an arm out in front of you to protect your head and neck.
- When in doubt, DON'T DIVE, play it safe!
- Always wear sunscreen when outdoors.
- Be careful around the BBQ or fire pits.
Have a FUN, SAFE day at the Beach!