It shall be the duty of the Water Quality/Coastal Tidelands Committee to:
- Advise and make recommendations to the City Council on policies, projects and programs that support and/or strengthen existing regulations to protect water quality and habitat in the bay and ocean;
- Advise and make recommendations to the City Council on policies, programs and projects that improve the water quality and habitat of Newport Bay and the ocean;
- Advise the City Council on implementation of the Tidelands Infrastructure Capital Plan in the following areas:
- Sea level rise as it affects ocean beaches.
- Ocean beach sand replenishment.
- Other capital projects affecting the ocean beaches and tidelands not covered by other committees;
- Advise and make recommendations to the City Council on policies, programs and projects that educate the watershed's population about the value of Newport Bay and the ocean; and
- Advise on any matter referred to the Water Quality/Coastal Tidelands Committee by the City Council or City Manager.
Mayor Pro Tem Dixon (Chair), Council Member Muldoon (Vice Chair), George Robertson, Tom Houston, Dennis Baker, Carl Cassidy, Louis Denger, Fred Galluccio and Michael Melby
Length of Term for Members:
The two non-voting Council Members shall serve a one-year term and the seven citizen members serve for a four-year term.
Frequency of Meetings:
The second Thursday each month, unless otherwise noticed.
John Kappeler, Water Quality Manager
Staff allocates approximately 30 hours a month to this committee.