Goal 1 - Protect and Enhance our Quality of Life
The following issues are ongoing, top City priorities:
- Airport: minimize adverse impacts of JWA on the community by protecting the Settlement Agreement's caps on average daily departures and passengers as well as the curfew and current noise ordinances.
- Group homes: implement group home regulations to minimize adverse impacts on residential neighborhoods while preserving appropriate treatment options.
- Fiscal health and sustainability: make decisions today that will protect and enhance the City's fiscal health into the future.
- Public safety: provide services that enhance safety and protection in the community.
Goal 2 - Fiscal Sustainability
Protect and enhance the City's economic and fiscal health so that the community continues to thrive.
- Adopt and follow a Fiscal Sustainability Plan.
- Adopt a balanced budget that adjusts to lower revenues; provide quarterly financial forecasts and budget implementation updates to the Council.
- Achieve and maintain the highest possible bond rating.
- Update the Facilities Financing Plan (FFP) to reflect priorities for capital projects funding.
- Update the City's harbor fees in a manner that is fair; secure a funding mechanism for funding harbor projects, such as dredging and providing additional harbor amenities.
- Initiate a results-based budgeting system.
Goal 3 - Effective Management
Make strategic decisions that support efficient use of resources, intended outcomes of City programs and continuous improvement of the services delivered.
- Restructure City government to become more efficient and effective in the delivery of valued services.
- Provide quarterly reports to City Council on performance measurements (comparing ourselves to ourselves) and information on feasibility of benchmarking (comparing ourselves to other agencies).
- Conduct the second Citizen Satisfaction Survey.
- Update the City Charter.
- Improve customer service by mirroring the "gold standard" of service in the public or private sector.
- Improve City / resident communications.
- Restructure development services function for improved coordination among disciplines; continued improvement in customer service.
- Adopt an updated Zoning Code and Transportation Fair Share Fee and obtain certification of Housing element.
- Address the economic impact of new regulations considered by the City Council.
Goal 4 - Economic Sustainability
Facilitate a strong underlying economy in order to enhance the tax base and property values.
- Support the renovation of Fashion Island and the prompt opening of Nordstrom.
- Abate nuisances and improve Mariners Mile between Dover and MacDonalds.
- Start implementation of The Irvine Company's North Newport Center project.
- Dredge the Lower Bay and establish a long-term funding source for repeat dredging efforts.
- Continue to support business development efforts consistent with the Strategic Plan for Economic & Fiscal Stability and with the Council's Fiscal Sustainability Plan.
- Identify a process and the resources needed to support innovative planning of and improvement in Lido Marina Village, including Via Oporto and other nearby properties.
- Complete update of vision for Balboa Village.
Goal 5 - Environmental Sustainability
Strengthen and improve the community's environmental quality of life.
- Respond to the results of the JWA air quality study.
- Reduce our use of potable water and our dependence on imported water sources.
- Improve recreational water quality.
- Assist the Corps and County in dredging the Upper Bay and establish a long-term funding source to repeat the UNB dredging.
- Dredge the Rhine Channel.
- Create a plan for responding to future sea level changes that may affect properties.
Goal 6 - Community Enhancements
Increase opportunities for recreational and arts enjoyment, provide essential facilities and facilitate sound land use decisions.
- Incorporate a public art component into the new Civic Center.
- Break ground on the Civic Center Project, including the park.
- Complete the EIR and seek funding sources for the Banning Ranch property.
- Start construction of Sunset Ridge Park.
- Start construction of Marina Park (phase I or all phases).
- Complete construction of and open the new OASIS Senior Center.
- Reduce fire hazard in Buck Gully and Morning Canyon.
- Implement traffic management plan (including traffic synchronization) to improve traffic flows.
- Implement a comprehensive parking program for the Balboa Peninsula.
- Widen Jamboree Road in the Airport Area (especially Jamboree and Bristol).
- Initiate the acquisition of Coast Highway between Jamboree and the Santa Ana River and Newport Boulevard from Finley to West Channel Bridge; create a process for initiating a longer range planning process for Mariner's Mile Traffic, Pedestrian, and Parking Comprehensive Plan.
- Facilitate Newport Beach arts opportunities through:
- opening of the remodeled Port Theater;
- the Newport Beach Film Festival;
- encouraging fundraising to renovate the Balboa Theater and implement the Newport Nautical Museum's master plan;
- assisting VisitNB.com or the Chamber in publishing and promoting a Master Calendar of Events.
- Plan the future of the current City Hall site at 3300 Newport Boulevard.
- Work to change the dynamics in West Newport on July 4 to have a more family-friendly celebration and lower law enforcement costs.