Special Event Permits
Planning to host a special event in the City of Newport Beach? If your event/activity is one of the following, it will likely require a special event permit:
- Outdoor concert and entertainment, public or semi-public, dance, recreation, or sporting events.
- Circuses, carnivals, fairs and festivals.
- Farmer’s Markets and swap meets.
- Walks, runs, athletic, bicycle and vehicle races and rides.
- Organized / Sponsored vehicle and boat shows
- Sales event outside the normal sales area of a business, such as a sidewalk and parking lot sales and other special promotions.
- Auto dealer sales events involving promotional attractions such as barbecues, tents, canopies, special signage, and similar facilities.
- Fireworks display
- Street fair, craft show on a residential or commercial right-of-way which is likely to obstruct, delay or interfere with normal flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
- Car washes whereby the public is encouraged to attend.
- Outdoor amplified sound.
- Other events as described by Newport Beach Municipal Code 11.03.
- Harbor activities and events.
You can download a Special Event Permit application or call 949-644-3151 to speak to the City's special event permit coordinator.
Weddings at the Beach or Public Park
Are you thinking about getting married at the beach or a public park? A special event permit is not required, but there are some restrictions. Find out what you need to know before planning your event by clicking here.
Special Event Funding Support Information and Application
The City of Newport Beach supports the qualified, local events of community groups through an annual review and funding process. The process involves a call for applications, a review of all completed applications received by the submitted deadline, the identification of a proposed funding amount in the City’s next fiscal year budget to be shared among the qualifying events, the assignment of recommended funding levels for each event, and then the formal review of the recommendations for approval or amendment by the full City Council. The process is conducted once each year, in concert with the City’s annual budget development cycle so that the Council-approved event funding is integrated into the City's new fiscal year General Fund budget.
Note: This call for applications and review cycle pertains to events that would be supported in the City's FY 14 budget (July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014).
Event organizers can apply for financial support to help cover event costs, such as equipment rentals, City permit fees, etc. The City does not waive or lower fees or provide in-kind support. Therefore, applicants should quantify all elements of their request. There is no guarantee that the City will be able to provide all, part, or any of the financial support requested by each applicant. All applications received by the deadline will be evaluated, ranked and funding recommendations made based upon the ranking of the application and the amount of funding available in the City's budget. The City Council can approve, amend, or deny any recommendation.
Applying for Financial Support for a Local Event
Please click here for directions for completing the application, important evaluation criteria and the application form (online or PDF available).
Sample Grant Agreement
Successful applicants will be required to enter into an agreement with the City in order to receive grant funds. Please be sure to review the sample agreement to verify that your organization is able to comply with the terms.
If you have questions about the online application or PDF copy of the Community Event Support Application, please e-mail Mary Locey at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about the Community Events Application review process, please e-mail Tara Finnigan at email@example.com