The application period ended Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5 p.m.
The City of Newport Beach 2021 Small Business Support Grant program will provide one-time funding to small businesses located within the city that need financial assistance to aid in their recovery from the loss of revenue due to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
Please carefully review the guidelines below as successful applicants must submit a completed application before the deadline; provide documentation that they meet the eligibility requirements, terms and conditions; explain how the grant monies would be used toward necessary COVID-19 related business expenses; and retain documentation for four years as to how the grant funding was used toward those expenses.
The City recently received $290,000 from the County of Orange to use toward economic support initiatives for small businesses that have been adversely impacted by the COVID-19 public health emergency. The City Council authorized the development of a new program that would utilize the County funding to provide $5,000 grants to Newport Beach small businesses. 58 grants are available.
If the number of qualifying applications received exceeds the amount of funding available for disbursement, the City will implement a lottery system for all eligible small businesses.
To be eligible to apply for the 2021 Small Business Support Grant Program, a business must attest to the need for financial support due to the business interruption caused by the COVID-19 public health emergency and the regional Stay at Home order. An applicant will need to attest that their business has been affected by COVID-19 in at least one of the following ways:
- The business was deemed non-essential and was forced to shut down by the state or local government;
- 2020 sales for the business are down more than 25% for three consecutive months, in comparison to the same three moths sales period in 2019;
- The business has had to lay off at least one of its employees (full- or part-time employee); or
- One or more of the employees in the business have contracted COVID-19, while at work.
Applicants are eligible to receive a grant of $5,000.
The program will be open to any small business that meets the eligibility criteria, terms and condition. Priority will be given to:
- Applicants that have not received a City grant within the past year.
- Businesses that provide on-site services that have been severely impacted by the COVID-19 public health emergency and the related operational restrictions. These include restaurants, retail, personal service establishments (hair salons, barber shops, nail salons, day spas, small gyms/health clubs).
The grant funds may be used toward the business’s day-to-day operating expenses such as rent or lease payments, mortgage payments, utility bills, payroll, inventory, technology, marketing/communication, or other similar expenses that occur in the ordinary course of operations. Grant monies may also be used toward the cost of obtaining personal protective equipment for staff and customers as well as devices intended to enhance safety of staff and customers, such as hands-free payment devices, sanitation supplies and plexiglass partitions. To be eligible under this grant program, expenses must have been incurred on or after December 31, 2020 and all grant funds awarded must be fully expended on eligible activities by June 30, 2021.
Applicants will complete a use of funds portion on the application that will detail how the funds will be spent within their business.
- Applicants must sign and verify that the use of funds will be spent on business expenses, such as those listed above.
- Grant awardees will be required to retain documentation verifying that the grant funds were used toward credible business expenses related to COVID-19 for four years. Any use of funding other than that to support the business is strictly prohibited. The business must reimburse the program for any expenses found to be not in compliance with the program’s list of eligible activities.
Business expenses that have already been reimbursed through a federal government program, State of California grant program, County of Orange grant program or City of Newport Beach grant program are not eligible for the 2021 Small Business Support Grant Program. No overlap or duplication of funding assistance between this and another funding program is permitted.
- The application period will be open from Wednesday, February 10 at 8 a.m. to Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5 p.m. Late applications will not be accepted. Applications must be submitted online on Formsite.
- Once you access the application on Formsite, it is recommended you make a free Formsite account (which will only be used for this application) to save your application.
- After the application period closes, the City will review all completed applications received. If the number of qualifying applications received exceeds the amount of grant monies available, the City will implement a lottery system to randomly select and rank the applications.
Business owners are strongly encouraged to read the program guidelines and take care in completing the application as late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Program Guidelines, which include
- Terms & Conditions
- Documentation Requirements