Mandatory Recycling Laws
| For more information regarding
the mandatory recycling laws for businesses,
please visit the following pages:
Holiday Collection Schedule
Residential trash is not collected on the
If the observed holiday falls on a weekday,
Residential refuse collection service is provided to approximately 27,000 homes in the city. The City has contracted for the service with CR&R Environmental Services (CR&R). In addition to CR&R's regular collections, arrangements can be made for the collection of curbside bulky items and hazardous waste. Residents are not directly billed for CR&R’s service.
- Automated and Semi-Automated Service - For most neighborhoods, CR&R provides fully-automated service. Some parts of town receive semi-automated service, meaning a trash collector will need to bring the cart to the truck, where the automated arm will lift the container.
- Collection - Have your carts curbside or in the alley by 6:30 a.m. on your collection day with handles and wheels facing the curb. Carts should be at least one-foot apart and three-feet from any obstruction.
- Pull out service - Residents with disabilities who need assistance placing their carts curbside each week will be provided upon request. (Proof of disability will be required for this free pull out service.) Residents that are not disabled can pay a nominal fee for this pull out service by making arrangements directly with CR&R.
It is not necessary for new residents to sign up for residential refuse collection provided by the City since no disposal fees are collected. However, a recycling rate of $3 per residential unit, per month is included in your municipal bill. The recycling fee covers the cost to the City for the materials recovery facility to separate and recycle commingled trash. The fee pays for the recycling portion only and not for the refuse collection service.
For questions regarding your recycling fee, visit the Revenue Division or call 949-644-3050.
Santa Ana Heights
Residential refuse collection in the Santa Ana Heights area is provided by CR&R under contract with Costa Mesa Sanitary District (CMSD). Weekly collection is automated and residents must use the trash containers provided by CR&R. Additional recycling containers are available for free, however, additional trash containers do cost extra. Refuse and recyclables are taken to a materials recovery facility (MRF) for further sorting and recycling.
To order additional containers, find out what day your collection occurs, arrange a bulk item collection, or sign up for service, contact CMSD directly at 949-645-8400 or email@example.com for assistance.
Franchised haulers provide commercial solid waste collection within the city. This includes contractor-generated solid waste for residential projects. Franchised haulers are required to comply with state-mandated recycling and diversion requirements, and provide the City with monthly tonnage reports, which includes collected and recycled weight in tons.
For information on how to obtain commercial trash and recycling services, or request dumpster bin services, see our Franchised haulers list.
- CR&R Environmental Services, 866-949-9694 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trash collection schedule map
- What can I recycle?
- Franchised Hauler List
City Contact Information
- General inquiries, 949-644-3066