Types of Waste Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Trash Collection


Residential refuse collection service is provided to approximately 27,000 homes in the city. The City has contracted CR&R Environmental Services to provide refuse collection. Residents are not directly billed for CR&R's service. In addition to CR&R's regular collections, arrangements can be made for the collection of curbside bulky items and hazardous waste (see below).

  • Automated and Semi-Automated Service - For most neighborhoods, CR&R provides fully-automated service. Some parts of town receive semi-automated service, meaning a trash collector will need to bring the cart to the truck, where the automated arm will lift the container.
  • Pull out service - Residents with disabilities who need assistance placing their carts curbside each week will be provided upon request. (Proof of disability will be required for this free pull out service.) Residents that are not disabled can pay a nominal fee for this pull out service by making arrangements directly with CR&R.

It is not necessary for new residents to sign up for residential refuse collection provided by the City since no disposal fees are collected. However, a recycling rate of $3.00 per residential unit, per month is included in your municipal bill.  The recycling fee pays for the Materials Recovery facility to separate and recycle trash that the residents commingle.  The fee pays for the recycling portion only and not for the refuse collection service. For questions regarding your recycling fee, visit the Revenue Division or call 949-644-3050.


Franchised Haulers provide commercial solid waste collection within the city. Franchised Haulers are required to comply with state-mandated recycling and diversion requirements, and provide the City with monthly tonnage reports, which includes collected and recycled weight in tons.

If you are a new business in the City of Newport Beach and need to begin commercial trash and recycling services please see our list of Franchised Haulers

Franchised Haulers can also provide dumpster bin rental services within the city. Please contact the individual haulers on the Franchised Haulers List for specific rates and availability.



Separating recyclables at home has several benefits for the community (by helping meet state-mandated diversion goals - AB 939, in which the City is required by State law to recycle at least 50 percent of all trash generated) and for the environment now and into the future. Pre-sorted recyclables are cleaner than those mixed with your trash which means more of them can be salvaged and reused. Separating recyclables is an option, not a requirement. For those who do not have a recycling cart and have decided to give it a try, you can contact CR&R to request a recycling cart (free of charge) at any time.

In compliance with the State-mandated recycling goals, the City contracts with CR&R to transport all City-collected solid waste to a materials recovery facility (MRF) where the waste is sorted. The MRF is uniquely designed to separate and recover recyclable materials from unsorted (commingled) household waste. This process eliminates the need for additional containers and separate collection pick up normally associated with residential recycling programs. Even though residents are not required to separate their recyclables, you are encouraged to seal wet refuse in bags to prevent contamination of newsprint.


Bulky Items

Household items that cannot fit into your automated carts are considered bulky items. Bulky Items must weigh less than 50 lbs. and be manageable by a two-person crew. Common bulky items include: couches, desks, chairs, tables, mattresses, etc. Basic bulky item collection is unlimited.

Items exceeding the standard bulky item guidelines may be collected up to four times per year with a maximum of four items per collection. Enhanced bulky items include: refrigerators, washers/dryers, dishwashers, monitors, microwaves, televisions, printers, scanners, computers, keyboards, etc.

To arrange a pickup of bulky items contact CR&R at 866-949-9694 or csnewport@crrmail.com


Pharmaceutical Waste

It is important to properly dispose of medication and sharps. In Orange County, pharmaceuticals can either be taken to one of four Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers or can be properly disposed of in a trash can following the instructions below.

To properly dispose of medication in a trash can, you need to "treat" the medicine in order to prevent people and animals from possibly ingesting it.

  • For capsules,pills or liquids: add water and mix with salt, dirt, or ashes from the fireplace/barbecue
  • For pills provided in a pack, wrap the entire package with several layers of duct tape

Once "treated," seal medicines in their original container with the safety cap. If desired, remove the patient's name, drug name, prescription number and other personal information before disposal. Tape the lid to the container with duct tape. For liquids, place bottle inside a plastic container in the event that the bottle breaks. Hide all medication in an outer container such as a bag or box, and wrap in several layers of newspaper to prevent discovery and removal.


Sharps (syringes, needles, autoinjectors, etc.) are classified as hazardous waste and are illegal to dispose of in the trash. Instead, they may be collected door side in an approved puncture-proof container. All Newport Beach residents can receive one free sharps container with pre-paid postage and return box every three months. A fresh sharps collection container will be delivered upon collection of a filled container. Sharps by mail kits are also available at City Hall and the OASIS Senior Center at no charge. Please complete the Sharps Proof of Residency Form in order to receive a sharps disposal kit.


Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous waste (HHW) are products that are flammable, corrosive, reactive or toxic. These wastes are dangerous to the public and the environment. CR&R collects HHW such as motor oil, oil filters, paint, batteries, household cleaners, pool chemicals, electronic waste, pesticides, etc.

Please contact CR&R to make arrangements for door side collection of HHW items. The representative will ask you for a specific count and list of the items to be collected, which is required by law to collect the material. Please be prepared to provide this information. Contact CR&R at 866-949-9694 or csnewport@crrmail.com

The Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers also accept HHW. Hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. For more information and locations, please visit http://www.oclandfills.com/hazardous


Batteries may be disposed by residents at select City facilities. Bring your batteries individually wrapped in plastic bags or cover both ends of each battery with stickers, and place them in the "Big Green Box" at the following locations: City Hall, Central Library, Mariners Library, Newport Coast Community Center and OASIS Senior Center.


Building Materials

Lumber, shingles, plaster, bricks, stones, concrete, asphalt, carpet and drywall are a few examples of building materials. Property owners may obtain a list of franchised haulers for roll-off dumpster bin service by calling 949-644-3055.

To obtain a permit for a dumpster to be placed in the public right-of-way, please contact Public Works Department at 949-644-3311.

Please contact Orange County Landfills for acceptable items at 714-834-4000.

Visit the State's Construction and Demolition Recyclers Database for locations to recycle building materials or call 916-314-6484.




Take Note...

Only CR&R and authorized franchised haulers are allowed to collect waste. Scavenging is illegal in the City of Newport Beach because it decreases the City's state-mandated recycling rate. Scavenging is the act of unauthorized persons going through refuse containers, whether the containers are located on city or private property.

To report scavenging in your area, contact the Police Department's non-emergency line at 949-644-3717.

Please be prepared to provide as much information as possible such as a vehicle license plate, if a vehicle is present, and a description of the individual(s) involved in the illegal activity.