Fourth of July Information
- Date: 07/04/2021 (all day)
Spending the Fourth of July in Newport Beach
Spending the Fourth of July holiday in Newport Beach is full of fun, sun (don't forget your sunscreen) and excitement. We welcome and encourage safe and family friendly celebrations. We have created several web pages dedicated to providing everything you need to know about enjoying the holiday in Newport Beach at newportbeachca.gov/july4 (general information is listed below). To receive up-to-date information throughout the day about traffic and events, text NBJULY4TH to 888777 (standard text messaging charges may apply).
Parking, Traffic and Street Sweeping
- Parking: Arrive early, park legally and feed the meter or pay station.
- Traffic: Large crowds flock to the beaches, so you can expect heavy traffic congestion. Please observe all traffic control (red lights, stop signs) and do not block intersections or private driveways.
- Street Sweeping: There will be no street sweeping on Monday, July 5.
All types of fireworks are illegal in Newport Beach. Folks like to take the risk and light off fireworks, we can hear them too. To report the use of fireworks, call the City's Police Department non-emergency line (949-644-3717) only if you know the exact location to provide our dispatchers with detailed information.
The City sponsors a large fireworks display at the Newport Dunes Resort. Newport Beach residents, with photo ID, can enter the Dunes in the evening for free to watch the fireworks. The Dunes hosts an all-day celebration with music, food and fun and charges an entry fee for each attendee. If you plan to park at the Dunes, there is a per vehicle parking charge. Visit the Dunes website for more information on events for the holiday.
There are several family friendly community events that occur on July 4. Visit our Holiday Events and Activities to plan your day.
City Hall and most City facilities are closed for the observed holiday on Monday, July 5. Offices reopen on Tuesday, July 6 at regular business hours.
Residential Trash Collection
Since the Independence Day Holiday is a Sunday, trash will be collected on your normal collection day with no delays to your pickup.
Visiting the Balboa Peninsula
With its long stretch of open beach, access to the bay and ocean front walk, the Balboa Peninsula is a popular place to be on July 4. Below are resources specifically for this area.
- Balboa Peninsula Trolley - free service from 9:30 a.m. until 9:30 p.m.
- West Newport/Balboa Peninsula Holiday Information
- West Newport Traffic and Parking Information