Online Recreation Center
Thank you for visiting the Recreation & Senior Services Online Recreation Center, a collection of digital recreation and senior services resources! We are committed to finding new ways for you to stay busy, active, and engaged whether you're enjoying in-person or virtual classes. The Online Recreation Center brings convenient programs and resources right to you and your family so you can easily incorporate new activities into your routine, no matter how often it's changing.
This page will be seasonally updated with new offerings and ideas. Please note that we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of, or receive funds to advertise any of the third-party sites or services listed or referenced on this page.
If you have a great resource to share or feedback about our online recreation center, please email email@example.com.
Virtual Class Calendar
Several of our incredible recreation instructors continue to offer classes or workshops that you can enjoy virtually. Free and paid offerings have been made available using different mediums including Zoom chats, Instagram live, Facebook live and more. If you are a current instructor and would like to advertise upcoming programming, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our virtual class calendar here. Remember, many platforms will save live-streams and allow you to watch videos after the fact. Click on the individual calendar listing title for links.
Categorized collection of third-party resources created thanks to the help and support of partners near and far.
- Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park. For a self-guided walking tour of the Sculpture in the Civic Center Park Exhibition, download the "MyNB" app from the Apple App Store or Google Play. If you already have the MyNB app on your mobile device, update it to include the latest additions to the Sculpture Exhibition. We kindly ask you to respect social distancing while exploring the Exhibition.
- Local Newport Beach artist and instructor Lisa Albert has put together a bundle of art videos and supplies for you to create at home. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Submerge kids in the world of making art with art lessons! Click here for an endless supply of free art lessons.
- Helps kids learn to appreciate the arts by providing them with the opportunity to play games, conduct investigations, and explore different forms of art. artsology.com
- Kids Think Design explores careers in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, book design, product design, film and theatre, architecture, animation, and environmental design. www.kidsthinkdesign.org
- It doesn’t matter if you’re 5 or 105, having a creative outlet can have a positive impact on your life. Click here for a list of fun fashion activities.
- Cultivate your creativity with these 10 minute creative writing prompts for Kids and Adults. Writing is not only a creative outlet, but a great way to boost your self confidence and practice mindfulness!
- Our beloved Piano instructor, Sophi Albert, is offering private piano lessons via ZOOM. Young pianist ages 6-16 will learn to read music notation and rhythm, and learn to play new and familiar songs. Lessons are Thursdays. Call Sophi to reserve your time by calling 949-426-5280.
- Our most movin’ and groovin’ Newport Beach instructor, CS Dance Factory, is bringing Zumba Gold, Chair Exercise, and Barre Strength & Strength to your desktop! Register for a session by filling out this form.
- Let the pros at Fender teach you how to play guitar from the comfort of your own home. Start your free three months of classes by visiting www.fender.com.
- Music is for everyone musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/Experiments
- Help kids of all ages learn the basics of dancing!
- Music Based Spanish Learning rockalingua.com
- Get your instruments ready! Learn a song, take a lesson, or practice with Little Kids Rock online music classes.
- The Environmental Nature Center has added educational videos geared towards school-aged children to their YouTube channel.
- Ready for a nature tour? Take a virtual trip through one of these 15 breathtaking locations.
- Since you can't visit these cute pigs in person, the Centennial Farm at the OC Fairgrounds has live pig cams so you finally find out what these adorable animals do all day long.
- Welcome to Virtual 4-H Camp! Explore fun learning activities in arts and crafts, STEM, and food and nutrition, as well as additional camp resources and gear to help your kid continue growing and learning.
- The Aquarium of the Pacific has devised a collection of webinars, live-cam footage and classes for all ages.
- Learn how to become a nature expert in your own back yard by exploring the Highlands Biological Station.
- Easy recipes for delicious and nutritious meals that the whole family can make: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/recipes-to-cook-with-your-kids#1.-Overnight-oats
- Crafts, activities, mazes, dot to dot, etc. www.allkidsnetwork.com
- Fun games, recipes, crafts, activities www.highlightskids.com/
- Take a tour of history with this free one month trial of Adapted Mind! Takes children on a fun quest throughout history
- Cooking with kids and kid friendly kitchen tasks.
- Skyhawks has added Family Resources page that includes links to the best at-home activities, virtual lessons, and their own video content. Skyhawks and SuperTots lesson plans were launched on 4/2/20 and they will continue with weekly updates. Visit www.skyhawks.com/familyresources. You can also stay active with Skyhawks by checking out their videos on Facebook at facebook.com/watch/SkyhawksSports/
- Our rad Newport Beach Instructor, Skatedogs, is offering live virtual one-on-one skateboarding lessons! 30 minutes for $25. 45 minutes for $35. One hour for $45. Contact Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org for all the details and to schedule your skate session today.
- Newport Beach instructor, CORE Athletics Training, is offering quick training & tutorial videos on Sports & Athletics Skills. Videos are great for kids of all ages (and parents, too!) and concentrate on developing various sports skills & overall athleticism through drills & games.
- Local instructor Kathryn Rollins offers a monthly subscription where members have unlimited access to senior based movement videos. As a nurse, Kathryn creates anatomically-based videos with lots of education. Each video is 5-15 minutes so members can do what they want, when they want, and on targeted anatomy. Click here to visit her website and view a free video to get a sense of what to expect. www.ahappybalance.com
- Newport-Mesa YMCA: Offering free Virtual YMCA page to the public regardless of current membership to the Y. Promoting staying active with a large video library of Yoga, Bootcamp, Barre, Zumba, youth fitness and more for Active Older Adults, youth and general fit seekers!
- Educational brain breaks to help students review essential literacy and math skills, while getting in some exercise. Find over 900 videos to help your child keep learning at home and burn off some extra energy. Our site is best used for ages 4-8. fluencyandfitness.com/register/school-closures
- Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts. www.gonoodle.com/
- Free at-home kids yoga lesson plans littletwistersyoga.com/online-store
- Kid-friendly workouts — choose from Strength for Kids, Agility for Kids, Flexibility and Balance for Kids, Warm-Up for Kids, Cooldown for Kids, Stand Up and Move for Kids, OR create your own custom kid workout. app.sworkit.com/collections/kids-workouts
- At home OT, PT, and ST resources designed to build skills in children through movement and play. www.theottoolbox.com
This is also an ever-expanding shared resource created by a group of teachers and like-minded companies to provide at-home learning resources, including music instruction, art, foreign language, and more.
- Set your kids up to be awesome on the internet with Google's new initiative for kid's internet safety. Click here to learn more about their Be Internet Awesome games and activities designed to teach kids the fundamentals of digital citizenship and safety so they can explore the online world with confidence.
- The Orange County Public Library has an extensive offering of electronic books and audiobooks. See what you can check out by visiting www.ocpl.org/elib.
- Camp Wonderopolis is the free online summer-learning destination that's full of fun, interactive STEM and literacy-building topics boosted by Maker experiments.
- Banzai exposes students to real-world financial dilemmas to teach them the importance of smart money management. www.teachbanzai.com.
- Math as a fun part of your daily family routine https://pbskids.org/games/math/
- Vocabulary, grammar, listening activities and games in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Korean, and Latin. conjuguemos.com
- Just explore, have fun, and learn some science along the way. thehappyscientist.com
- Explore the universe with NASA's online activities, e-books, podcasts and other content. The universe is waiting!
OASIS Senior Center: The OASIS Senior Center is here to help our Newport Beach Seniors. Our staff is available by phone to help Newport Beach seniors with transportation resources, food or emergency supplies, or a friendly phone call. Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm: (949) 644-3244
- Art & Culture.
- Stay connected to the art world through the Orange County Museum of Fine Art.
- Take an online tour of these 14 world-class museums or a virtual tour of the Museum of the Air Force.
- Get gardening tips from the OC Master Gardeners on their website or listen to their radio show.
- Health & Fitness:
- At home exercises to keep moving!
- Get a taste of local history from the Balboa Island Museum History Project.
- Take an introductory course to classic films from MIT open courseware.
- Take a free language course through Rosetta Stone using your City of Newport Beach Library card.
- Online learning & lectures.
- Take a free online course from a university covering everything from language, writing, and art to photography, history and science. 1500 free online courses from Universities.
- Senior Planet offers free online learning for seniors. Click here.
- Enjoy a TED talk lecture in a variety of subjects like technology, entertainment, and design.
- Support groups:
- The Parkinson's Resource Organization is offering weekly virtual groups to support those facing Parkinson's. Click here to view upcoming meetings.
- Travel. View the world without leaving your living room by taking a virtual travel trip
- eBranch of the Newport Beach Library: The Newport Beach Public Library is here to support your child's distance learning and continues to offer Curbside services. Telephone reference will be provided throughout closure at (949) 717-3800. The Library eBranch. allows online services such as enjoying a movie with Kanopy, listening to audiobooks or reading an eBook through OverDrive.
- NBPL is also here to support your child's distance learning with a hub of information and resources.
- Convenient Curbside services available at all locations, Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Newport-Mesa YMCA: Offering free Virtual YMCA page to the public regardless of current membership to the Y. Promoting staying active with a large video library of Yoga, Bootcamp, Barre, Zumba, youth fitness for youth through active older adults.
Local Natural Resources & Parks:
As of now, parks, beaches and tidepools throughout the City remain open as weather conditions and official restrictions allow. Please follow social guidelines set by the City, County, State, and Federal agencies when enjoying these open spaces (ie. 6 foot social distancing). For trail information including the Buck Gully Nature Preserve, the Back Bay Loop Trail, and the Mountains to Sea Trail visit the Natural Resources page.
Mudline (Updated Information on park and trail closures): (949) 718-1860
Beaches: Are open
For more information on the closures please see these Frequently Asked Questions.
Parks & Trails: 77 parks and miles of walking and biking trails are Open.
Stay in the Know
Spring 2023 Class Registration Opening
- Date: 02/16/2023 8:00 am
Registration Opens for Spring Classes & Activities Thursday, February 16 at 8:00 a.m.!
Time to serve of up the fun with Spring classes, activities, and events!
To register, visit newportbeachca.gov/register!
Click to view the digital Spring 2023 Newport Navigator.