Short Term Lodging

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

NOTICE: Short term lodging permit renewal forms and the owner annual Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax (UTOT) forms are mailed out annually at the end of September. The short term lodging permit renewal fee is $214. 

The renewal and UTOT forms are not available online and will be mailed to owners annually at the end of September. If you have not received the forms via mail by October 15th, you may send an email to We will not be able to accommodate requests before October 15th.  You will need to return the forms in person to the Revenue Counter at 100 Civic Center Drive 1A, Newport Beach, CA 92260, or mail the completed forms and payment back in the enclosed envelope. Postmarked mailed is not accepted.

Both forms and applicable payments are due back to the City by October 31st.





Short term lodging is allowed in Newport Beach but is limited to certain residential districts and requires a business license and short term lodging permit from the City.  

The short term lodging market has experienced substantial growth in recent years in large part due to the increased use of online hosting platforms such as AirBnb, Homeaway, VRBO and many others.  While diversified lodging options are needed for visitors and create revenue opportunities for homeowners, the City has regulations in place to ensure the interests and needs of everyone in the community are heard and balanced. 
Please click on one of the above links if you are interested in learning more about the City’s short term lodging regulations, application process ,or to file a complaint regarding a property that is being used for short term lodging in your neighborhood.