The number of active short term lodging permits in Newport Beach is limited to 1,550. This limit was put in place to preserve our residential neighborhood’s quality and character as well as to address the impact of short term lodging on homeowners and City services. Existing short term lodging permittees can renew, reinstate, or transfer valid permits.
To transfer a permit, please CLICK HERE.
At this time, the City has issued the maximum number of permits allowed. Property owners who wish to obtain a short term lodging permit may submit their property to the City’s short term lodging permit wait list.
Valid wait list submissions are processed on a first come, first serve basis when the number of active permits falls below 1,550. City staff is unable to determine when new short term lodging permits will become available or how long an applicant will need to wait for a permit.
Please ensure you meet ALL the criteria below before joining the waitlist:
- The property to be permitted is located in a residential district and zoned for short term lodging.
- CLICK HERE to search your address and verify that your property is zoned for short term lodging. Please note that timeshare units are NOT eligible for short term lodging.
- You are the legal owner of the property. You are not eligible to add a property to the wait list if you do not hold title and/or are in escrow;
- The property is not part of a Homeowners Association whose CC&Rs prohibit short term lodging; and
- A short term lodging permit for this property has not previously been revoked.
To complete your waitlist request, please CLICK HERE.
You will be redirected to another website to complete the wait list form. Once submitted, you will receive a confirmation email.
Please note – City staff will contact waitlist applicants by e-mail only. If contacted, waitlist applicants will have TEN (10) BUSINESS DAYS to return the completed paperwork. If the applicant does not return the completed paperwork in that time, they will be removed from the waitlist and the next applicant will be contacted. There are no exceptions. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR E-MAIL IS CORRECT AND TAKE THE NECESSARY STEPS TO ENSURE E-MAILS DO NOT GO TO YOUR SPAM OR JUNK FOLDER.
If you need to change your contact information on a previously submitted waitlist submission or you would like to be removed from the waitlist, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.