The Newport Beach Central Library is currently open the to the public with modified hours and services.
Following the State guidelines, the Central Library has restarted in-person services incrementally. Occupancy is limited to a capacity of 100 and face-coverings are required for both staff and the public entering the Library. Initial services allow patrons to browse the shelves, check out materials, and manage accounts. Public computers will be available on a limited basis.
In accordance with guidelines from the State of California, Newport Beach Public Library has implemented a variety of precautions to make the environment as safe as possible for staff and the public. The Central Library is equipped with Plexiglass barriers at public service desks, social distancing demarcation signage and hand-sanitizers.
"Animal Kingdom+", mixed media: wood and watercolor by Michael Crook
March 8 - May 7, 2021, Central Library
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission presents "Animal Kingdom+", an exhibition of mixed media wood and watercolor works by artist Michael Crook, on display at the Newport Beach Central Library gallery.
Michael Crook creates hand-carved wildlife art pieces from various types of hardwoods and hand-paints them using opaque watercolors. Born in Lincoln, Nebraska and raised in Sierra Madre, California, Crook has worked in various media, including painting and drawing, photography, silversmithing, stained glass, ceramics, printmaking, and woodworking.
While serving in the Army in the late 1960s, Crook was a Combat Artist in Vietnam. His works from that time are now the property of the Military History Department of the U.S. Army and were, at one time, displayed at the Pentagon. Since 1994, he has participated in many art shows around Southern California, including 18 years at the Art-A-Fair in Laguna Beach.
Michael lives in Newport Beach with his wife Pamela and their cat, Coal.
The exhibition will be on display March 8 through May 7, 2021, during the library's modified operating hours.
(A Little Nip for Mom by Michael Crook)
- Exhibit to be announced: May 10 - July 2
- Quilts on the Wall (Textiles): July 5 - September 3
- Richard Ferncase (Photography): September 7 - November 5
- Sunny Kim (Acrylics): November 8 - January 7, 2022
- Roxanne Sexauer (Woodcuts & Linocuts): January 10 - March 4
- Lisa Fu (Watercolors): March 7 - May 6
- Ann Apeles Brunning ("Flying Flowers", photography): May 9 - July 1
To have artwork considered for an exhibition at the Central Library, download and fill out the Application for Consideration Art
In the News
- Diana Ghoukassian is Glimpsing the Nature of Things
- Newport Beach artist Chip Fesko's geometric watercolors are on display
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit