Sherry Marger: The Art of Travel
October 23, 2023 - December 15, 2023, Central Library
Sherry Marger has been a resident of Southern California since 1978 moving here from the east coast. Trained as an art educator, she taught only briefly before she decided to go into graphic arts and worked designing publications for a Department of Public Health. It wasn't until she was coordinating an international art competition, that she decided that painting was truly her first love.
Traveling has inspired her to paint scenes utilizing acrylic paints from photographs that were taken on a variety of her trips to capture scenes from around the world. However, during Covid, since traveling was limited, she spent more time capturing the local scenery and many of the paintings are exhibited here. In addition, there are some iconic views of other locations from around the world.
Artwork copyright ©Sherry Marger
All Rights Reserved
Lucie Galvin: Paper Pictures (Washi, Scraps, and Souvenirs)
December 18, 2023 - February 9, 2024, Central Library
Lucie Galvin grew up in Newport Beach attending Eastbluff Elementary and CdM Middle and High Schools. She learned to sail the harbor, worked at Fashion Island, and volunteered in our old library and Hoag Hospital. After studying Art History at The University of Michigan, Education at St. Mary’s College, Garden Design at The English Gardening School London, and Craftsman Gardening with The National Trust for Scotland, she returned with her husband to Newport to raise their family. Lucie teaches and practices gardening and crafts. During the pandemic she iPad-sketched portraits of missed family and friends, walked town Instagramming plants vernacular, and began these illustrative paper collages. She has recently returned from studying traditional and modern paper-making in South Korea and Japan.
The pictures’ paper plant materials include: Bamboo, banana, cotton, daphne, ficus, flax, gampi, hemp/jute, mango, mitsumata, mulberry, nettle, onion, papyrus, rice, silk, snake plant, and anonymous hard and softwoods in upcycled modern card stock, cellophane, construction paper, greeting cards, grocery bags, parchment, pastry boxes, souvenirs, wrapping paper, and vellum.
Artwork copyright ©Lucie Galvin
All Rights Reserved
- February 12 - April 5:To be announced
- April 8 - May 31: Laura Green (Acrylic paintings)
In the News
- Fair Game: Colleen Johns at the Central Library
- Diana Ghoukassian is Glimpsing the Nature of Things
- Newport Beach artist Chip Fesko's geometric watercolors are on display
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit