"Destination Art" Exhibition of Acrylics by Sherry Marger
November 4, 2019 - January 3, 2020, Central Library Gallery
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission presents Destination Art, an exhibition of acrylic paintings by Sherry Marger, on display at the Newport Beach Central Library gallery.
Sherry Marger is an acrylic landscape painter, born in New York City, but raised in New Jersey. As a youngster, never having been to an airport or on an airplane, little did she suspect that in the future, she would be able to fly to far off places of more interest and experience firsthand the astounding beauty that awaited her.
Studying computer graphics and layout design, led to a position at a Public Health Department working on instructional materials for Educators. Eventually she started her own business designing custom invitations.
It wasn’t until much later in life, when she started traveling that she began to paint more seriously. Always having photographed, catalogued and then assembled albums of trips, she realized how painting could further interpret her traveling world experiences to herself and to others. Traveling became her inspiration. Destination Art has become her passion. As a studio artist, she works in an impressionistic style with acrylic paints. Plein air watercolor sketching is done on location to lay the groundwork for the finished paintings done on either canvas or paper in her studio.
The exhibition will be on display November 4, 2019 through January 3, 2020, during library operating hours.
(Nyhaven Colors by Sherry Marger)
"Shore and Marsh Birds" Photographic Exhibition by Gail White
January 6 - March 6, 2020, Central Library Gallery
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission presents Shore and Marsh Birds, an exhibition of photographs by Gail White, on display at the Newport Beach Central Library gallery.
Gail White is a long-time resident of Balboa Island. She grew up on the Island, graduated from Newport Harbor High and returned to the Island in 1995 upon her retirement. Strictly an amateur photographer, White's interest in photographing shore and marsh birds evolved from her love of the beach.
All of the photographs on exhibit were shot locally in Newport Beach, Crystal Cove, Bolsa Chica Wetlands and the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary. Gail White's desire in exhibiting these photos is to share with library patrons the wonderful marine birds we have in this area.
The exhibition will be on display January 6 through March 6, 2020, during library operating hours.
(Brown Pelicans, Corona del Mar by Gail White)
- Lauren Mendelsohn-Bass (oil on canvas): March 9 - May 8
- Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs ("Youth Ocean Art", mixed media): May 11 - July 10
- William Leung (acrylic on canvas): July 13 - September 4
- Agnes Schenk ("Never Stop Blooming", oil on canvas): September 8 - November 6
- "Fake or Fortune: Provenance and Attribution" (exhibition and lecture): November 9 - January 8, 2021
- Richard Ferncase (Photography): January 11 - March 5
- Quilts on the Wall (Textiles): March 8 - May 7
- Sunny Kim (Acrylics): May 10 - July 2
- Ann Apeles Brunning ("Flying Flowers", photography): July 5 - September 3
- Roxanne Sexauer (Woodcuts & Linocuts): September 7 - November 5
- Lisa Fu (Watercolors): November 8 - January 7, 2022
To have artwork considered for an exhibition at the Central Library, download and fill out the Application for Consideration Art
In the News
- Diana Ghoukassian is Glimpsing the Nature of Things
- Newport Beach artist Chip Fesko's geometric watercolors are on display
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit