Public Poll Now Open!
Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park - Phase VI
The City of Newport Beach (City) is seeking up to ten artworks to display for two years in the heart of Newport Beach in Civic Center Park as part of its ongoing Invitational Sculpture Exhibition. Submissions are now complete for this phase and the jury has begun its review of over 50 sculptural works by artists from all over the country. This poll allows members of the community and any other art lovers in the United States the opportunity to endorse the pieces they would most like to see exhibited.
CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE ARTWORK!
How it works:
- Voting is online only.
- Voting is for U.S. Residents only.
- The period for voting ends January 10, 2021.
- Members of the public may vote for up to three favorite works among those submitted.
- Individuals may only cast their votes once. Voters must provide an e-mail address, city and state of residence, and a ZIP code.
- The result of the public vote will be taken into consideration by the judging panel, and the vote is advisory in nature and non-binding.
The selection and installation process for the Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park is managed under contract with the City of Newport Beach by Arts Orange County, the nonprofit countywide arts council. http://artsoc.org/
Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park - Phase V
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission is pleased to announce the installation of ten new sculptures in Phase V of the Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park. The ten new sculptures were selected from submissions received by a national call for entries based on their artistic merit, durability, practicality and site appropriateness. Arts Orange County provided professional services for the coordination of the artist selection and installation of the sculptures. They are scheduled to be on display in Civic Center Park for two years.
INSTALLED JULY 2020
Grand Opening Dates to be Announced
The Phase V sculptures are as follows (left to right, down):
- Cosmo by Roger Heitzman, Scotts Valley, CA
- Fractured Peace by Nancy Mooslin, Los Angeles, CA
- I’m Listening by Monica Wyatt, Studio City, CA
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Patricia Vader, Martinez, CA
- Seated Diana by Curt Brill, Tucson, AZ
- Primemover by Grant Irish, Oakland, CA
- Window to the Sea by Andra Broekelschen, Corona del Mar, CA
- Marble Shooter by Ron Whitacre, Laguna Beach, CA
- Dude Ascending by Joe Forest Sackett, Albuquerque, NM
- Individuality n.1 by ARTECLETTICA Dominic Panziera & Daniela Garofalo, Truckee, CA, Metal work by Anton Standteine
Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park - Phase IV
The City Arts Commission invites the public to explore the Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park, the City's largest display of public art. The Sculpture Exhibition was first installed in 2014 with sculptures on loan for two-year periods. Phase IV showcases ten large-scale pieces, which will be on display until June 2021.
Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park - Phase III
The exhibition period for one piece from Phase III has been extended, and it will be on display through the end of September 2020.
Artist: Karl Unnasch
Physically inspired by radio tower design, this 40-foot sculpture, with its soft-glowing beacon and slow flicker, captures a fleeting moment in time: the split-second after a burning wooden matchstick has been extinguished by a gust of air. Varying combinations of amber, black, blue and white domestic opalescent glass aggregate in a multi-planar fashion in the construction of this larger-than-life, seemingly innocuous object.
HISTORY OF THE SCULPTURE IN THE CIVIC CENTER PARK EXHIBITION
In August 2013, the Newport Beach City Council authorized the City Arts Commission and City staff to implement a temporary sculpture exhibit in Civic Center Park. The City Council approved the installation of ten sculptures in Phase I of the project and additional ten sculptures in Phase II. The sculptures installed in year one were on display for two years and were removed and returned to the artists in 2016. Those installed in year two, or Phase 2, will be removed in September 2017. The ten sculptures selected for installation in September 2015 are shown in this Phase 2 Presentation.
A grand opening celebration on September 12, 2015 marked the installation of nine new sculptures in Phase II of the Sculpture in the Civic Center Park Exhibition with the tenth sculpture, "Sunflower," to be installed in January 2016. The community was invited to view the sculptures, meet the artists and enjoy music and refreshments at the Civic Center. Docent led tours of the Sculpture in Civic Center Park Exhibition were conducted by members of the Newport Beach Art Foundation.
MOBILE APP SELF-GUIDED WALKING TOUR OF THE PARK
For a self-guided walking tour of the Sculpture in the Civic Center Park Exhibition, download the "MyNB" app from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Search for "MyNB." If you already have the "MyNB" app on your mobile device, update it to include the latest additions to the Sculpture Exhibition.
In the News
- 3/11/2020 - Newport Beach sculpture garden to get a refresh with 10 new sculptures
- 1/22/2020 - Public invited to vote on new sculptures
- 8/30/2019 - NB Independent: Next Phase of Sculpture Exhibition moving forward
- 6/28/2019 - NB Independent: Dedication of sculpture exhibition in Civic Center Park
- 6/22/2019 - LA Times:10 new sculptures join Newport Beach exhibition
- 6/24/2019- OCRegister: Artwork created by crew-chief of truck racing team among 10 added to Newport Beach sculpture garden
- 6/28/2019 - Daily Pilot: Millions of dollars in state earmarks support outdoors projects in Newport, Huntington and Costa Mesa
- 3/22/2019 - Daily Pilot: Newport Arts Commissioners make oranges top pick
- 3/18/2019 - Daily Pilot: Poll winding down as Newport seeks public favorites for additions to sculpture exhibit
- 3/15/2019 - Newport Beach Independent: First Look at Next Phase of Sculpture Garden
- 2/20/2019 - Bay Area Grind: City of Newport Beach Call for Entries
- 2/15/2019 - Daily Pilot: Matchstick sculpture outside Civic Center may enter permanent collection
- 2/10/2019 - The Art Guide: Newport Beach Civic Center Sculpture Exhibition
- 1/18/2019 - Pelican Hill Magazine: Where to Explore Everyday Public Art in Orange County
- 1/17/2019 - Newport Beach Independent: Local Art Moving Forward: Sculpture Garden
- 1/9/2019 - Daily Pilot: Newport will fill funding gap for sculpture exhibit in Civic Center Park
- 11/3/2017 - Newport Beach Independent: New Round of Sculptures Officially Opens
- 10/26/2017 - Daily Pilot: Latest sculptures get grand opening Saturday
- 10/26/2017 - Daily Pilot: Photo gallery Newport Beach Civic Center sculptures
- 9/29/2017 - Newport Beach Independent: Council OKs Phase III of Sculpture Exhibition
- 9/27/2017 - Daily Pilot: Latest sculptures approved
- 9/15/2017 - Daily Pilot: Sculpture finalists announced
- 8/25/2017 - Daily Pilot: Panel's pick echoes public choices
- 8/11/2017 - Daily Pilot: Online survey picks public's favorite
- 6/22/2016 - Pelican Hill Magazine: Nature in the Urban World at Civic Center Park
- 9/30/2015 - Explorer LA: Strolling Through a Newport Beach Sculpture Garden
- 9/18/2015 - Newport Beach Independent
- 9/13/2015 - OC Register
- 9/12/2015 - Daily Pilot
- 9/10/2015 - Newport Beach Magazine: On View: Phase Two of the Sculpture in Civic Center Park Exhibition
- 9/9/2015 - OC Register
- 8/22/2015 - Daily Pilot
- 8/21/2015 - Newport Beach Independent
- 7/9/2015 - OC Register
- 10/3/2014 - Newport Beach Magazine: Art in the Park
- 8/7/2014 - Newport Beach Magazine: Newport Beach Buzz