The Newport Beach Fire Department has been protecting residents, businesses and visitors for nearly 110 years on land and in the ocean with our operating principles of Safety, Service, Professionalism. Operationally, the department is staffed with eight-fire stations spread throughout the city, a lifeguard headquarters located at the base of the Newport Pier, and a lifeguard sub-station in Corona del Mar. Administratively, our staff is located within the Newport Beach Civic Center.
Newport Beach is the only city in the county that has a complete combination of high-rise buildings (both residential and commercial), wildland and urban interface, cliffs, a freeway, a bay, a harbor, ocean, jetties, two piers, the world-famous Wedge, a ferry, a Ferris wheel, a peninsula, eight islands accessible only by a bridge all while being directly under the path of John Wayne Airport.
Our personnel train and prepare for a myriad of emergencies. We are proud contributors to Orange County and regional agencies in time of need and welcome open boundaries from our neighboring agencies as well.
Whether serving in fire operations, lifeguard operations, fire prevention, or fire administration, the men and women of the Newport Beach Fire Department are proud of the service we provide and the culture we have developed.
- Established in 1911.
- Full-service, 24/7, 365 days-a-year fire, lifeguard and emergency medical services.
- Fire Operations has 38 full-time personnel consisting of battalion chiefs, captains, paramedics, engineers and firefighters.
- Lifeguard Operations has 15 full-time personnel consisting of a chief lifeguard, battalion chiefs, and captains and approximately 220 part-time, seasonal lifeguards.
- Fire Prevention includes the fire marshal, four full-time life safety specialists and one part-time life safety specialist.
- Fire Administration has eight full-time staff and three part-time staff with the responsibilities of the department's $54-million budget, payroll, purchasing, facilities management, EMS billing, and managing the Fire Medics Program.
~ Safety, Service, Professionalism ~