Your CalPERS Pension
Ever wonder what exactly is your CalPERS benefit? Did you know you can't outlive your pension? You'll receive a lifetime monthly pension check! Check out the video below for more information on this great benefit.
If you're interested in planning your financial future- a good start is reviewing this helpful CalPERS checklist.
Access your CalPERS benefits information anytime, anywhere with myCalPERS.
Choosing a Retirement Date
The answer to that question isn’t one-size-fits-all. Each person’s retirement date will differ for various reasons, but there are some key factors to look at that will help you narrow it down. Watch below from some helpful insight!
CalPERS recommends you begin the steps to retire one year in advance. If your retirement date is less than a year away, don't worry, they can still help you retire on the day you have planned!
Here are some helpful resources:
- Planning Your Service Retirement
- City of Newport Beach Human Resources
- Once you have filed your retirement application with CalPERS (90 days out from your retirement) schedule a meeting with Human Resources Specialist, Jill Ortiz
- Video below regarding a retirement planning checklist
Designation of Beneficiary
Death benefits are paid according to the valid beneficiary designation on file. Benefits may be paid per statutory beneficiary order if there is no designation on file or the designation was revoked. CalPERS will determine who the death benefits are payable to after they receive and review all the required documents. For more information, visit the CalPERS site.
Purchasing Service Credit
One way to increase your CalPERS pension is by purchasing service credit prior to retirement. The following tools can help you determine if you're eligible to purchase service credit and what it might cost:
Click here to learn more about purchasing service credit.
Power of Attorney
A CalPERS special power of attorney allows you to designate a representative or agent, known as your attorney-in-fact, to conduct your retirement affairs. Should you become unable to act on your own behalf, your designated attorney-in-fact will be able to perform important duties concerning your CalPERS business, such as:
- Address changes
- Federal or state tax withholding elections
- Retirement benefit elections
The CalPERS special power of attorney is specifically designed for use by active and retired CalPERS members and beneficiaries. You may already have a power of attorney set up through another resource; however, it may not address your CalPERS retirement benefits. For more information, visit the CalPERS site.
Part-time Employee Resources
Fire Management & Firefighters Association Resources
Appointee and Executive Management Resources
City Manager Resources
City Attorney Resources
A governmental 457(b) deferred compensation plan (457Plan) is a retirement savings plan that allows eligible employees to supplement any existing retirement and pension benefits by saving and investing before-tax dollars through a voluntary salary contribution. Contributions and any earnings on contributions are tax-deferred until money is withdrawn. Distributions are subject to ordinary income tax.
- How to register and use the Empower retirement website
- Benefits of enrolling
- Watch this video on how to access online resources and education
- To make an appointment to discuss your account, enroll for the first time, or discuss investment options, please contact Empower Retirement at 800-701-8255.
- Check out this handout on the benefits of scheduling regular checkups
The VantageCare Retirement Health Savings (RHS) Program is designed to help you and your loved ones meet a critical expense — retiree health care — through a tax-advantaged savings vehicle.
Your RHS Program is sponsored by the City of Newport Beach and administered by ICMA-RC. All contributions to your account are set aside exclusively for qualifying medical expenses.
"Hey Alexa! What are my contributions?"
ICMA-RC launched Amazon Alexa capabilities, making the innovative voice activation technology available for more than 1.4 million participant accounts. Participants can now request certain account details by using voice commands to obtain their account balance, contribution amount, and year-to-date rate of return, among other information. The voice commands will be recognized through Amazon products; or through an Alexa app on a smartphone. For a complete list of ICMA-RC’s Alexa skills, click here.
- Name: Marcus Marshall, Retirement Plans Specialist
- Email: MMarshall@icmarc.org
- Phone: 1-833-646-0236
Click here to request an appointment
LIUNA is a supplemental retirement plan for members of the following bargaining units and compensation plan: City Employees Association, Professional and Technical Employees Association, and Key & Management employees.
- FAQ file
- Benefit Summary
- Green Zone
- We have good news to share with you regarding the LIUNA pension fund. The pension fund has returned to the "Green Zone" and no further contribution rate increases will be required by the Funding Rehabilitation Plan (FRP) as of March 30, 2020. The City of Newport Beach contribution rate will remain at 3.22% of salary. The January 2021 rate increase to 3.54% will not occur.
- Monday - Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (EST)
- Phone: 1-800-544-7422