Obtaining a Live-Aboard Permit
A permit is required for living aboard your vessel at a mooring in the harbor. Please fill out the appropriate permit application below and review. Once completed, please contact the Harbor Department at 949-210-8159 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions and to schedule your vessel inspection.
- Live-Aboard Permit Application
- Commercial Marina Live-Aboard Permit Application
- Annual fee
- Required permittee information:
- Permittee must have a valid mooring permit and a vessel that shall serve as his/her principal residence.
- Names of all individuals to be living aboard the vessel.
- Address and phone number(s) for permittee when not occupying vessel.
- The following pertinent vessel information:
- Registration number
- Holding tank information - make, model and capacity
- Submittal of an application for a live-aboard permit is considered consent by the owner of the vessel to any inspection necessary to confirm the accuracy of the application.
All persons applying for and approved for a live-aboard permit must comply with Newport Beach Municipal Code, Section 17.40 - Live-Aboards (brief summary below):
- Live-aboard permits are valid for 12 months.
- Requests for renewals must be submitted at least 60-days prior to expiration.
- Permits are not transferable.
- Newport Harbor is a no discharge zone. Permittees shall use pumpout facilities or services on a regular basis or discharge human waste in a legal manner. A log must be maintained showing the date, time and location when waste was properly discharged.
- Garbage and trash shall not be deposited in the harbor, bay or on property surrounding the bay except in trash receptacles owned and maintained by the City.
The following videos are an educational resource for live-abroad permittees on how to properly dispose of your vessel's waste, which helps us all protect the water quality of our harbor, bay and ocean.
Resources on this page are provided as a courtesy. The City of Newport Beach (City) does not endorse or recommend non-City related organizations listed on the websites of the provided resources. The City reserves the right to limit what is posted per City Council Policy D-5: Digital Communications.