Beacon Bay Bill
The Beacon Bay Bill is a reference to the California State Lands Commission’s grant of sovereign tide and submerged lands in trust to the City of Newport Beach (City). The original grant was dated July 25, 1919 and there have been several separate amendments since then, including a new grant in 1978. All of these combined documents are referred to as the Beacon Bay Bill (bill) for simplicity purposes.
Generally, the bill states that the lands shall be used by the City for purposes in which there is general statewide interest, as follows:
- For the establishment, improvement and conduct of a public harbor for the promotion and accommodation of commerce and navigation;
- For the establishment, improvement and conduct of public bathing beaches, public marinas, public aquatic playgrounds and similar recreational facilities open to the general public; and
- For the preservation, maintenance, and enhancement of the land in its natural state and the reestablishment of the natural state of the lands so they may serve as ecological units for scientific study, as open space, and as environments which provide food and habitat for birds and marine life and which favorably affect the scenery and climate of the area.
The following are documents related to the bill that are maintained on the California State Lands Commission's website.
- Statutes of 2012, Chapter 286, approved September 7, 2012
- Statutes of 2004, Chapter 361, approved August 27, 2004
- Statutes of 2001, Chapter 745
- Statutes of 1997, Chapter 317, approved August 18, 1997
- Statutes of 1994, Chapter 728, approved September 21, 1994
- Statutes of 1984, Chapter 715, approved August 23, 1984
- Statutes of 1978, Chapter 74, approved April 6, 1978
- Statutes of 1953, Chapter 1096, approved June 9, 1953
- Statutes of 1935, Chapter 448, approved July 11, 1935
- Statutes of 1931, Chapter 200, repealed by Chapter 74
- Statutes of 1929, Chapter 813, repealed by Chapter 74
- Statutes of 1929, Chapter 574, repealed by Chapter 74
- Statutes of 1929, Chapter 142, repealed by Chapter 74
- Statutes of 1927, Chapter 70, repealed by Chapter 74
- Statutes of 1925, Chapter 121, repealed by Chapter 74
- Statutes of 1919, Chapter 495, approved May 25, 1919
- Statutes of 1919, Chapter 494, repealed by Chapter 74
- The State Lands Commission staff reports relevant to the bill are available for online.