Newport Beach Ocean Lifeguard – Job Application & Tryout Information
Join our amazing team and have a rewarding summer! To become a seasonal ocean lifeguard for the City of Newport Beach, candidates must first apply for the Lifeguard Trainee position.
Lifeguard Trainees attend the City of Newport Beach Basic Lifeguard Academy (BLA) to learn skills and techniques used in ocean rescue, emergency decision making, first responder medical treatment, and public assistance.
Knowledge and skills gained in the BLA may include, but are not limited to:
- Through classroom and field training, learning proper lifesaving techniques and procedures for ocean surveillance, victim recognition, surf entry, and rescue of persons endangered by hazardous ocean or beach conditions.
- Identification of, and human behavior related to, ocean conditions such as rip currents, irregular ocean bottom conditions, lateral currents, and wave actions and their effects.
- Becoming CPR and Emergency Medical Response certified.
- Physical fitness training drills as established by the Department.
- Learning customer service skills related to public safety and the beach environment.
Please Note: The course and/or selection components could change due to weather conditions. Dates and timelines are also subject to change.
- The Lifeguard Trainee job application is open. APPLY NOW!
- Job posting closes January 16, 2024 at 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).
- Applicants must be 16 years old on or before March 1, 2024.
- No prior lifeguard experience required.
- Start training! Download the practice workout schedule here
- Qualifying applicants will be invited to a tryout tentatively scheduled for Saturday, January 27, 2024.
- No wetsuits or fins allowed. Goggles are optional.
- Tryout consists of a 1000-meter ocean swim and 1000-meter run-swim-run.
- Top finishers will be invited to an interview.
Learn More at Info Night
Join us! The Newport Beach Lifeguards are hosting an information night for interested candidates. Attendance is not required as part of the recruitment process, nor does it affect applicant eligibility and/or imply a future job offer.
Attendees will learn about: tryouts, the Basic Lifeguard Academy, the post-academy hiring process, and more!
Info Night Details:
- Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2024
- Time: Doors open at 5 p.m.; Meeting begins at 6 p.m. We welcome attendees to come from 5-6 to meet the team, check out Lifeguard Headquarters, and learn more about what it’s like being a Newport Beach Lifeguard.
- Location: Attendees may attend either in-person or via Zoom. See additional info below.
RSVP to attend via Zoom: If you will be attending via Zoom, please register here.
RSVP to attend in person: If you will be attending in-person, please RSVP here. The in-person info night is located at Benjamin M. Carlson Lifeguard Headquarters, 70 Newport Pier, Newport Beach, CA