In response to orders from the Governor of the State of California, all Newport Beach Public Library branches are closed to the public until further notice. In light of this, the Arts Commission will shift currently scheduled exhibition dates to allow all artists’ work to be available for public viewing for a full 8 weeks. Final exhibition dates will be posted once the Library re-opens to the public.
"Fairy Tales" Exhibition of Oil Paintings by Lauren Mendelsohn-Bass
March 9 - TBD, Central Library Gallery
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission presents "Fairy Tales", an exhibition of oil paintings by Lauren Mendelsohn-Bass, on display at the Newport Beach Central Library gallery.
Lauren Mendelsohn-Bass is a Los Angeles born painter who received her Bachelor of Arts at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her work takes the viewer on a journey through the word of superficial reality where artificially alluring and nostalgically innocent context marks darker thoughts, ideas and actions. Playing with the visual tropes of mass marketing and vintage advertisements, her work explores the ways reality is obscured when presented as ostensibly attractive. As popular culture navigates an era of “fake news”, social media, and alternative facts, nothing is as it seems. Her paintings examine today’s culture where truth is fluid; ideas, issues and events are routinely reframed to reinforce brand.
Inspired by 1950’s era advertising, Mendelsohn-Bass evokes a classic Film Noir feel and its emotive German Expressionist roots. Mixing pop imagery and classic noir iconography, she draws the viewer into an enticing world, only to find all is not as it appears.
The exhibition will be on display beginning March 9, during library operating hours.
(The Princess and the Frog by Lauren Mendelsohn-Bass)
- Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs ("Youth Ocean Art", mixed media): dates TBD
- William Leung (acrylic on canvas): dates TBD
- Agnes Schenk ("Never Stop Blooming", oil on canvas): dates TBD
- "Fake or Fortune: Provenance and Attribution" (exhibition and lecture): dates TBD
- Richard Ferncase (Photography): dates TBD
- Quilts on the Wall (Textiles): dates TBD
- Sunny Kim (Acrylics): dates TBD
- Ann Apeles Brunning ("Flying Flowers", photography): dates TBD
- Roxanne Sexauer (Woodcuts & Linocuts): dates TBD
- Lisa Fu (Watercolors): dates TBD
- Michael Crook (Carved/Painted artwork): dates TBD
To have artwork considered for an exhibition at the Central Library, download and fill out the Application for Consideration Art
In the News
- Diana Ghoukassian is Glimpsing the Nature of Things
- Newport Beach artist Chip Fesko's geometric watercolors are on display
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit