This project is located at the intersection of Superior Avenue and West Coast Highway and involves the construction of a new pedestrian/bicycle bridge across Superior Avenue and a larger parking lot with 130 parking spaces. The adjacent Sunset Ridge Park, which was completed in December 2014, is a 13.7-acre active park with a baseball field and two soccer fields. Unfortunately, due to California Coastal Development Permit constraints associated with the Sunset Ridge Park development, on-site parking was not included with the development of the park. Visitors to Sunset Ridge Park currently park at the existing parking lot on the southeast side of Superior Avenue. The existing parking lot only has 64 parking spaces and does not provide adequate parking for larger organized sporting events. The primary goals of this project are to increase parking and improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and access to Sunset Ridge Park.
Proposed improvements include the following:
- New pedestrian/bicycle bridge approximately 210 feet long and 18 feet wide overcrossing Superior Avenue
- New larger parking lot with 130 parking spaces
- Extension of upper Sunset View Park (open space)
- Earthwork, grading and retaining walls
- Landscape and irrigation improvements
- Amenities including a drop-off area, bicycle fix-it station, and a drinking water fountain
Project Status (Updated 7/13/2021):
The draft environmental document (Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration – IS/MND) was circulated for public review from September 23 to October 23, 2019 and subsequently adopted by City Council on November 19, 2019. The City approved the Coastal Development Permit (CDP) in December 2020, however, the CDP was appealed to the California Coastal Commission. Staff is currently working with the California Coastal Commission to procure the CDP. In addition, since this project involves federal grant funding, staff is also working closely with Caltrans to satisfy all state and federal requirements.
- California Coastal Development Permit: May 2020 to Aug 2021
- Caltrans (Federal Grant Funding) Requirements: January 2021 to September 2021
- Final Design: November 2019 to September 2021
- Construction Bidding and Award: October 2021 to November 2021
- Construction: January 2022 to April 2023
You are encouraged to visit this City project webpage (www.newportbeachca.gov/superiorbridge) regularly for the most up-to-date project information.
Rendering: View from Superior
Rendering: View from Coast Hwy
Public Works Department
Andy Tran, P.E.