This project is located at the intersection of Superior Avenue and West Coast Highway and involves the construction of a new pedestrian/bicycle bridge across Superior Avenue, a larger parking lot and a dog park. Because of the close proximity to the beach, there is a significant amount of pedestrian and bicycle traffic at this intersection. The adjacent Sunset Ridge Park, which was completed in December 2014, is a 13.7-acre active park with a baseball field and two soccer fields. Unfortunately, due to California Coastal Development Permit constraints associated with the Sunset Ridge Park development, on-site parking was not included with the development of the park. Visitors to Sunset Ridge Park currently park at the existing parking lot on the southeast side of Superior Avenue. The existing parking lot only has 64 parking stalls and does not provide adequate parking for large organized sporting events. The primary goals of this project are to increase parking and improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and access to Sunset Ridge Park.
Proposed improvements include the following:
- New Pedestrian/Bicycle Bridge approximately 260 feet long and 12 feet wide overcrossing Superior Avenue
- New larger parking lot with approximately 128 parking spaces
- New dog park approximately 0.2 acres in size
- Earthwork grading and retaining walls
- Landscape and irrigation improvements
- Amenities including a children drop off area, bike fit-it station, and a drinking water fountain
City staff is currently completing the conceptual design and environmental documents. The draft conceptual design, which can be accessed here, was presented to the City’s Parks, Beaches and Recreation Commission on August 6, 2019. City staff also presented the conceptual design to neighboring residential communities in May and June of 2019.
Public Works Department
Andy Tran, P.E.