Additional Waste Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Bulky Items

Household items that cannot fit into your automated carts are considered bulky items. Bulky items must weigh less than 50 pounds and be manageable by a two-person crew. Common bulky items include: couches, desks, chairs, tables, mattresses. Basic bulky item collection is unlimited.

Items exceeding the standard bulky item guidelines may be collected up to four times per year with a maximum of four items per collection. Enhanced bulky items include: refrigerators, washers/dryers, dishwashers, monitors, microwaves, televisions, printers, scanners, computers, keyboards.

To arrange a pickup of bulky items contact CR&R 949-625-6735 or


Pharmaceutical Waste

It is important to properly dispose of medication and sharps. In Orange County, pharmaceuticals can either be taken to one of four Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers or properly disposed of in a trash can following the instructions below.

To properly dispose of medication in a trash can, you need to "treat" the medicine in order to prevent people and animals from possibly ingesting it.

  • For capsules, pills or liquids: add water and mix with salt, dirt, or ashes from the fireplace/barbecue
  • For pills provided in a pack, wrap the entire package with several layers of duct tape

Once "treated," seal medicines in their original container with the safety cap. If desired, remove the patient's name, drug name, prescription number and other personal information before disposal. Tape the lid to the container with duct tape. For liquids, place bottle inside a plastic container in the event that the bottle breaks. Hide all medication in an outer container such as a bag or box, and wrap in several layers of newspaper to prevent discovery and removal.


Sharps (syringes, needles, autoinjectors) are classified as hazardous waste and are illegal to dispose of in the trash. Instead, they may be collected door side in an approved puncture-proof container. All Newport Beach residents can receive one free sharps container with pre-paid postage and return box every three months. A fresh sharps collection container will be delivered upon collection of a filled container. Sharps by mail kits are also available at City Hall and the OASIS Senior Center at no charge. Please complete the Sharps Proof of Residency Form in order to receive a sharps disposal kit.


Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous waste (HHW) are products that are flammable, corrosive, reactive or toxic. These wastes are dangerous to the public and the environment. CR&R collects HHW such as motor oil, oil filters, paint, batteries, household cleaners, pool chemicals, electronic waste, and pesticides.

Please contact CR&R to make arrangements for door side collection of HHW items. CR&R's representative will ask you for a specific count and list of the items to be collected, which is required by law to collect the material. Please be prepared to provide this information. Contact CR&R 949-625-6735 or

The Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers also accept HHW. Hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. For more information and locations, please visit


Batteries may be disposed by residents at select City facilities. Bring your batteries individually wrapped in plastic bags or cover both ends of each battery with stickers, and place them in the "Big Green Box" at the following locations: City Hall, Central Library, Mariners Library, Newport Coast Community Center and OASIS Senior Center.


Building Materials

Lumber, shingles, plaster, bricks, stones, concrete, asphalt, carpet and drywall are a few examples of building materials. Property owners may obtain a list of franchised haulers for roll-off dumpster bin service by calling 949-644-3055.

To obtain a permit for a dumpster to be placed in the public right-of-way, please contact the Public Works Department at 949-644-3311.

Please contact Orange County Landfills for acceptable items at 714-834-4000.

Visit the State's Construction and Demolition Recyclers Database for locations to recycle building materials or call 916-314-6484.




Take Note...

Only authorized franchised haulers are allowed to collect waste. Scavenging is illegal in the city of Newport Beach because it decreases the City's state-mandated recycling rate. Scavenging is the act of unauthorized persons going through refuse containers, whether the containers are located on public or private property.

To report scavenging in your area, contact the Police Department's non-emergency line at 949-644-3717.

Please be prepared to provide as much information as possible such as a vehicle license plate, if a vehicle is present, and a description of the individual(s) involved in the illegal activity.