Project Address: 850 and 856 San Clemente Drive
The project consists of the demolition of the former Orange County Museum of Art buildings (approximately 39,000 square feet) on a 2.91-acre site to accommodate the development of a 184,309-square-foot, six-story senior housing development (90 residential dwelling units) and memory care facility (27 beds). The development would include resident dining areas, fitness room, yoga room, indoor pool, lounge with bowling alley, salon, art room, theater, library, golf simulator, and support uses such as offices, mechanical and storage rooms, mail room, laundry, and housekeeping.
The applicant, Nexus Development Corporation, requests the following applications from the City of Newport Beach:
• General Plan Amendment – To amend Anomaly No. 49 to change the land use category from PI (Private Institutions) to MU-H3 (Mixed-Use Horizontal). The proposed amendment also includes 90 additional dwelling units in Statistical Area L1.
• Planned Community Text Amendment – To modify the San Joaquin Plaza Planned Community Development Plan (PC-19) to include development and design standards to allow for 90 senior dwelling units and 27 memory care beds. The applicant also requests an increase in the height limit from 65 feet to 77 feet 10 inches.
• Development Agreement – Review of a proposed development agreement that would provide development rights in exchange for public benefits should the project be approved.
• Conditional Use Permit – To allow the operation of the proposed senior housing development and memory care facility.
• Major Site Development Review – To allow the construction of 90 senior dwelling units and a 27 bed memory care facility and to ensure the site is developed in accordance with the applicable planned community and zoning code development standards and regulations pursuant to Newport Beach Municipal Code (NBMC) Section 20.52.080 (Site Development Reviews).
• Lot Merger – To merge the two existing lots into one parcel for development of the site.
• Addendum to Environmental Impact Report (EIR) (SCH#2016021023)– To address reasonably foreseeable environmental impacts resulting from the legislative and project specific discretionary approvals, the City has determined that an addendum to a previously certified EIR is warranted pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).•
Addendum to Environmental Impact Report (EIR):
An EIR addendum to the Museum House EIR (SCH#2016021023) is anticipated to address reasonably foreseeable environmental impacts resulting from the project specific discretionary approvals, an Initial Study and Environmental Impact Report (EIR) are warranted for this project pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
The project consultant, PlaceWorks, is currently in the process of preparing a project description and will follow with a draft of the EIR addendum. Once City staff has reviewed the EIR addendum, the project will be scheduled for a Planning Commission Study Session followed by Planning Commission and City Council public hearings.
Anticipated studies with the EIR addendum include a/an:
• Construction Phasing and Management Plan
• Geotechnical Study
• Hydrology Study
• Phase I and Phase II Environmental Studies
• Utility Demand Analysis
• Project Renderings/View Simulations
• Water Quality Management Plan (WQMP and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan(SWPPP)
Site Plan (Click to Enlarge)
- Submitted August 8, 2018
- Incomplete letter sent to project applicant September 5, 2018
- Project Review Request(PRR) routed to reviewing departments September 10, 2018 with comments due back September 21, 2018
- EIR Consultant PSA authorized: November 8, 2018
- Additional application materials received: December 21, 2018
- Incomplete letter sent to project applicant February 4, 2019
- Planning Commission Study Session scheduled for April 18, 2018
Anticipated Future Events:
- Application Deemed Complete: TBD
- EIR addendum public draft released: TBD
- Planning Commission Study Session: April 18, 2019
- Planning Commission Meeting: TBD
- Airport Land Use Commission Meeting: TBD
- City Council Meeting : TBD
Development Impact Fees
- Fair Share Fees and San Joaquin Transportation Corridor Fees apply
Makana Nova, Associate Planner