Project Address: 850 and 856 San Clemente Drive
The proposed project consists of the demolition of the existing Orange County Museum and associated administrative office building (approximately 38,350 square feet total) on a 2.91-acre site to accommodate the development of a 184,309-sq-ft, 153-bed, 99 unit, 6-story senior assisted living facility (90 units, 126 beds) and memory care (9 units, 27 beds).
The applicant, Nexus Development Corporation, requests the following applications from the City of Newport Beach:
- General Plan Amendment-to change the land use category from PI (Private Institutions) to MU-H3 (Mixed-Use Horizontal).
- Planned Community Text Amendment – to modify the San Joaquin Plaza Planned Community Development Plan (PC-19) over the entire project site to include development and design standards for 99 senior assisted living and memory care units. The applicant also requests an increase in the height limit from 65 to 77 feet 10 inches.
- Development Agreement – review of a proposed development agreement that would provide public benefits should the project be approved.
- Major Site Development Review – to allow the construction of 99 senior assisted and memory care units.
- Lot Merger – to merge the two existing lots into one parcel for development of the site.
- Addendum to Environmental Impact Report (EIR) – to address reasonably foreseeable environmental impacts resulting from the legislative and project specific discretionary approvals, the City has determined that an addendum to the existing EIR are warranted pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Addendum to Environmental Impact Report (EIR):
An EIR addendum to the Museum House EIR (SCH#2016021023) is anticipated to address reasonably foreseeable environmental impacts resulting from the project specific discretionary approvals, an Initial Study and Environmental Impact Report (EIR) are warranted for this project pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
The project consultant, PlaceWorks, is currently in the process of preparing a project description and will follow with a draft of the EIR addendum. Once City staff has reviewed the EIR addendum, the project will be scheduled for a Planning Commission Study Session followed by Planning Commission and City Council public hearings.
Anticipated studies with the EIR addendum include a/an:
• Construction Phasing and Management Plan
• Geotechnical Study
• Hydrology Study
• Phase I and Phase II Environmental Studies
• Utility Demand Analysis
• Project Renderings/View Simulations
• Water Quality Management Plan (WQMP and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan(SWPPP)
Site Plan (Click to Enlarge)
- Submitted August 8, 2018
- Incomplete letter sent to project applicant September 5, 2018
- Project Review Request(PRR) routed to reviewing departments September 10, 2018 with comments due back September 21, 2018
- EIR Consultant PSA authorized: November 8, 2018
- Additional application materials received: December 21, 2018
- Incomplete letter sent to project applicant February 4, 2019
Anticipated Future Events:
- Application Deemed Complete: TBD
- EIR addendum public draft released: TBD
- Planning Commission Study Session: TBD
- Planning Commission Meeting: TBD
- City Council Meeting : TBD
Development Impact Fees
- Fair Share Fees and San Joaquin Transportation Corridor Fees apply
Makana Nova, Associate Planner