Council Member Joe Stapleton (2026)
Council Member Joe Stapleton was elected to the Newport Beach City Council in November 2022.
He was named “Newport Beach Citizen of The Year” in 2020, and his passion for the City runs deep. He served on the Newport Beach Harbor Commission from 2013-2017, where he supported the efforts to create a new Harbor Department, helped jumpstart the overhaul of Title 17, and enjoyed a term as Vice Chair before joining the City’s Finance Committee.
For the past four years, he has championed fiscal responsibility, pension, and debt paydown, and balanced budgets with heavy emphasis on public safety and infrastructure. His experience on both the Harbor Commission and Finance Committee has led to a well-rounded view of the needs of our City, including funding additional needs on the Harbor, responding to homelessness, and addressing basic quality-of-life services.
As President and Co-Founder of Spinnaker Investment Group, he oversees the firm’s client relationships while advising businesses and individuals on customized wealth and investment management solutions. His top priority is assisting clients to achieve what is most important to them by bringing their goals and desires in line with their financial resources.
He is also former Chairman of the Board of the Newport Beach Foundation, an organization that he revitalized to raise civic awareness in young professionals. The program has graduated over 160 people, including a dozen now serving on city boards, commissions, and committees. He also serves on more than a dozen boards of directors for community and civic organizations, including The Pacific Club, New Majority Orange County, Newport Beach & Company, Literacy Project, Speak Up Newport, The Pacific Arts Foundation, Lott Trophy, and International Executive Council. He is also the Skipper of the Commodores Club of the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce.
Past awards and service includes:
- 2020 Newport Beach Citizen of the Year
- 2019 NB & Company Dennis O’Neil Partner in Progress Award Winner
- 40 Under 40 – OC Metro 2014
- Finance Committee Member – City of Newport Beach 2017 – Current
- Harbor Commissioner – City of Newport Beach 2013-2017
- Charter Update Committee Member – City of Newport Beach 2012
- Newport Beach Foundation – Chairman
- Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors – Chairman of the Board (2015)
- Commodores Club – Skipper (2021)
- The Pacific Club – Board Member
- Pacific Art Foundation – Board Member
- Lott Trophy – Board Member
- Literacy Project – Board Member
- The New Majority – Board Member
- Corona del Mar Residents Association – Past Board Member
- Leadership Tomorrow – Past Board Member
- The Elite OC, Young Professionals Society – Founder
- OC Marathon – Board
- Fire Ops 101 – Newport Beach – Graduate
- Citizen Police Academy – Newport Beach Graduate
Return to City Council Homepage